Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Sun, Summer Showers

Summer started out with lots of sun so we were able to soak it up at the park.


This morning we were greeted with dark clouds and the rumble of thunder in the distance.  We made a fun sun in hopes of coaxing the real one out.  To start, Eva painted a paper plate with yellow and orange paints.

While the paint was drying, I glued strips of yellow and orange paper to wooden clothespins to be the rays of the sun.  One side has yellow, the other has orange.  I made 8 but you could probably fit more around the plate.
We finished the sun with a pair of sunglasses.  Anyone who knows Eva, knows she is rarely without a pair of her stylin' shades.  Then we clipped the rays to the plate.   Because they are two-sided, we were able to make a basic yellow-orange pattern but since they are also clothespins, they can be removed and rearranged to make new patterns too.  
When our sun was done we went outside to see if the real one had come back out.  No such luck but it was warm enough to play in the rain.
I'll leave you with a montage of my self-proclaimed "stylin' chick" modeling her assortment of sunglasses.

abc button

5 comments:

  1. I love the princess picture when your daughter is reading so adorable. Great job on the sun also.

    http://polwig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy! I swung by your site- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your sweet little girl is just darling. very cool that you taught 1st grade! you daughter is lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love this sun! We did a sun theme last week and this would've been perfect!

    I taught first grade, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is just too cute in all her shades!

    ReplyDelete