Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Celery Science

We did the classic celery experiment yesterday.  I wanted to show Eva that plants take in water and it travels up the stems to the leaves.  It was a little over her head but she had fun nonetheless.
We started by filling a glass with water (we've been working on pouring so this was great practice!).
We then added some red food coloring to the water and placed a few stalks of celery in the glass.
That part was easy.  The waiting was definitely harder.  Eva kept checking every minute or so to see if the leaves had turned red.  Finally we had some results (I ended up moving the glass out of sight and we checked on it the next morning).
I don't think it was as exciting as I built it up to be but I'm glad we did it.  Now Eva has a little better understanding of why we need to water our plants.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and can't wait to be home with my son again this summer to try some of your projects. I do have a suggestion for you. Try a white carnation next time! You'd be able to see the color really easily in the flower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! We will definitely have to try the carnation too. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete