Friday, June 25, 2010

Strawberries (Part 2)

We used the rest of our strawberries to make strawberry freezer jam.  We followed the recipe given at ABC and 123.  It was very easy to make!  All you need is 2 cups of strawberries, 4 cups of sugar (gasp!  I didn't use full cups because that seemed like a ton of sugar), one box of pectin and 3/4 cup of water.  Eva helped cut the tops off the strawberries before we chopped them up in the blender and added the sugar.
She then combined the water and pectin in a saucepan and I brought it to a boil on the stove and let it boil for a minute before adding it to the strawberry mixture.
While the pectin was coming to a boil, Eva performed a quality control test on the strawberries.
After taking the pectin off the stove, we combined it with the strawberry mixture and let it sit for three minutes before ladling it into freezer jars.  The jars have to sit out at room temperature for 24 hours to set and then into the fridge or freezer they go.  Turns out the jars are fun for stacking.
We also made a sweet strawberry craft similar to the one itmom made, seen here.  To begin, I cut out a strawberry shape from red construction paper and Eva used the wrong end of a paintbrush to stamp the seeds on with black paint.
When the paint had dried she then painted the entire strawberry with glue that I had thinned out a little with water.
To make the strawberry smell sweet, we sprinkled strawberry gelatin mix all over it.
We let it dry overnight and finished it off with some leaves and a stem.  Looks, and smells, good enough to eat!
EDITED:  I was looking over this post and realized Eva looks like a wet rat!  I really do bathe her!  Before making our jam we were outside doing this:


abc button

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I am really enjoying your blog - I am sorry I don't comment more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed the recipe. Your daughter is absolutely adorable, and I love that strawberry craft. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, ha...wet rat! I just assumed you'd bathed her right before jam making and then I got to the end!

    ReplyDelete