Thursday, June 3, 2010

Instantly Blooming Flower


One bad thing about planting a garden is that it lacks instant gratification which is something most toddlers crave.  Because our vegetable plants aren't producing yet we made a craft that gives us instant blooms.  You will need a styrofoam cup, a tongue depressor, pretty colored paper (we cut up one of our butterfly paintings), a pompom and glue.
Begin by coloring the cup.
Then color the tongue depressor green with markers or paint.
Cut out petals from colorful paper or old paintings and glue them in a flower shape onto the end of the depressor.
Glue a pompom in the middle.  Eva calls hers the flower's pollen- gotta love it when kids learn new vocabulary just by exploring their world!
Cut a slit in the bottom of the cup as wide as your depressor and push the flower into the cup so that it is hidden.
Push up on the depressor and your flower blooms!
Lots of instant gratification!
You can even share it with a friend.
abc button

5 comments:

  1. Very cute and you're right instant gratification is important for the toddler crowd☺ I love that you used one of your daughter's painting to create the petals.

    Thanks for linking up to ABC & 123, I'm signed in as my personal blogs but it's one of the Katie's from other there☺

    PS: I'm so glad you like the family name tracing book I put together, thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea, I think we might give it a try too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've made something similar, but I never thought to make the flower "grow" like that! Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kara! If it is okay with you, I would like to use this idea for my sunflower week. We're going to make a sunflower and make it bloom! I will link back to you! Let me know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete