Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Welcome to Antarctica!

Our journey around the world has begun!  We have landed in Antarctica and it is cold!!!!  Big fluffy snowflakes were falling when we arrived so we decided to catch a few so we could get a closer look.  I stuck a piece of dark colored paper in the freezer while we were bundling up and then we headed out into the flurry to see what snowflakes look like up close.
Eva did a great job catching them on the paper and then we bent in for a closer look.
We saw that each snowflake had 6 points and that no two were the same.  Later this week we will be making some snowflakes of our own.
When we came in and warmed up, Eva decided she wanted to paint a snow storm on her easel.  I set her up with some dark paper, white paint and a variety of brushes and she went to town.
Guess it was really a blizzard!
We also located Antarctica on our map and globe and Eva colored it in on the little map she keeps in her suitcase.
I also made some tickets for our travels (thank you Deborah for the great idea!)- Eva loves them.
We will be keeping them in the suitcase too, along with her passport and map.  (I still need to find a stamp for Antarctica so we haven't officially "checked" in yet. )

4 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great project that allows for so much exploration and DOING. How has she responded to learning about a place so far away? Some of my students talk about places that are not near us (like one student told me her dad went to California). Most, though, don't seem to have a concept of anyplace other than "here" - hopefully as we explore our neighborhood and city, we will be able to talk about the fact that there are other places - any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! She is somewhat "getting" it. We have a map up with a star where we are so she can see that other places are far away. I don't know how much is sinking in but pointing out differences between Antarctica and home has helped too. I figure the more exposure she has to places other than home, the more she will become aware of a world outside what she sees on a daily basis. Now if only I could win the lottery so I can take her to some of these places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey blogger friend, I love your blog and I think you really deserve an award which is waiting for you at my blog! I am so happy I found you! Thanks for sharing.
    http://learningandteachingwithpreschoolers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome Kara! What a fun activity.

    ReplyDelete