Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Arctic

Wow!  This month has flown by!  We will be wrapping our visit to the polar regions with some time in the Arctic.  We'll mainly focus on the animals that live near the North Pole, along with a few activities relating to winter wear.

Crafts
Mitten Prints- what happens when you finger paint with mittens on?  you'll have to stop by and see!

Snowy Owl- we'll transform a pinecone into an adorable owl

Activities
Tracks in the Snow- we'll head out to the park to look fro animal tracks and make a few or our own

Polar Bear Fat- we got to do this cool experiment at the zoo a while back and we will try to reenact it at home

Camouflage Experiment- how does a polar bear's white fur help him hunt?  we'll play around with colors to see how animals' fur helps them hide from predators or prey

Mitten Matching- using Eva's supply of mittens, we'll find matches and hang them on a little clothesline

Books:
Arctic Animals:
Ice Bear: In the Steps of the Polar Bear Ice Bear: The Arctic World of Polar Bears Cold Paws, Warm Heart Hello, Arctic! Hush Little Polar Bear Follow the Leader On My Own Board Book Bear Play My Little Polar Bear The Littlest Sled Dog Whales Passing  
Winter Wear:
One Mitten The Jacket I Wear in the Snow The Missing Mitten Mystery (Picture Puffin Books)  The Mitten 20th Anniversary Edition The Mitten The Mitten Tree The Mitten The Hat Thomas' Snowsuit (Annikins) Under My Hood I Have a Hat 

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your activities. Great selection of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to be a new follower. I've recently started a project on my blog where I challenge myself to take my sons moments of curiosity and turn them into learning oppurtunities for the whole week. I can't tell you how much I love the ice experiment! What a cool way to demonstrate the concept :-) I'm going to browse through your blog for some ideas, and if I find one we try out, I hope you wouldn't mind me giving you credit and linking back to your blog :-) Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

    ReplyDelete