This year Eva wanted to be a mummy for Halloween. And not just any mummy, a "purple girl mummy". This costume was actually pretty easy to make. I cut out a pattern for a dress (because "purple girl mummies" wear dresses) by tracing one of Eva's tunic style dresses. Eva picked out a lovely shade of lilac muslin for the dress and after cutting out the pieces I ripped the rest into strips. (I used 3 yards but had about 1/2 a yard left over). Before sewing the pieces of the dress together, I tacked on the strips, just zig zagging them down the fabric as I sewed leaving a few strips hanging down. Then I sewed everything together and used fray check to keep the strips from unraveling further. I saved one long strip of muslin to wrap around her head.
She loves it and I think she's the cutest "purple girl mummy" ever!
Our local library hosted an Autumn Art Show and all the children who visit the library were encouraged to submit a piece of artwork to hang in the gallery. I had found some leaf and pumpkin doilies at the dollar store and Eva and I decided to use them to make her artwork. She started by painting an entire sheet of sturdy white paper (we used cardboard) with watered down glue. Then she placed the doilies all over the paper. We added another layer of glue (I had to help a little here as some of the doilies started folding over) and another layer of doilies. We ended with a final layer of glue and then Eva sprinkled everything with glitter.
Yesterday we received a call that Eva had been awarded First Place in the art show!
I love how this turned out and I'm thinking of having Eva make another one on canvas to keep as a fall wall hanging for our home.